Latest Hard Metal Pricng

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Former Lisbon Assessor Writes To Residents

I would like to address the controversy surrounding the new personal property tax model that Lisbon is attempting to implement.

The personal property tax laws have been controversial from their inception ~ and, in fact, some municipalities have in the past chosen not to tax personal property ... which I certainly do not agree with.


Historically in Lisbon ~ during my 22 years as tax assessor, as well as the years prior to my being employed there ~ it was the opinion of the various boards of selectmen that the personal property tax should follow a middle-of-the-road model of implementation.  That is: We were not going to tax every knife and fork in a restaurant, for example, nor would we tax grandmother's stove if she tried selling a few cookies.


Legally, under the current laws, you could literally tax almost any inanimate object if you chose to do so.  The majority of municipalities choose not to tax every item that can legally be taxed.  A good example of this would be that a police officer can summons someone for going one mile over the speed limit but, as a rule, he would not do that.


I would not be writing this letter regarding the new direction the present administration is taking if I had not been drawn into the argument by the action of two town officials.  I have received numerous calls from Lisbon taxpayers informing me that I am being openly criticized for following a more conservative taxing model for personal property while in Lisbon.


I, therefore, felt the need to respond.  I do not have an issue with the new aggressive model of taxation the town has chosen to implement; it is legally correct. I do take issue with being personally criticized for following a more moderate course, a course supported by all the past administrations.


I will sum this up by stating that the present administration is residing in a glass house and I am sitting on a large pile of rocks.


To the Lisbon taxpayers I would say, hold on! You're in for quite a ride!


Gerald Samson
Buckfield