Latest Hard Metal Pricng

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Unfairness Of Personal Property Taxes‏

 THE UNFAIRNESS OF PERSONAL PROPERTY TAXES
 
A few weeks ago I received in the mail a copy of a personal property tax bill, dated 06/13/2012. 
 
For 2006, principle - $63.29, interest $34.11 for a total of $97.40.
For 2007, principle - $39.77, interest $26.04 for a total of $65.81.
 
This was sent to Village Real Estate, a real estate office I opened in January1984 with a USED desk and chair I  purchased for a grand total of $100.00. Shortly after two (2) file cabinets were added, and later a  copy machine and a few miscellaneous cabinets. Around 1996, I purchased a fax machine. Personal property taxes were paid on these items from 1985 to 2005 when I decided enough was enough. All equipment was so old and depreciated they no longed qualified for deductions on my state and
federal income taxes.
 
 
 
On one hand I am willing to do my share to support the town and all the services provided. 
 
On the other hand, there are businesses on Route 9 that are not, and have not, been billed personal property taxes, have not been paying their fair share, and a town councilor has been receiving a Homestead Exemption on real estate taxes that he was not entitled to. 
 
 
 
I have paid the Town of Lisbon many times over for used and old office furniture and equipment while many others are not even being billed. Where is the fairness to others with a program of this type?
 
Dot Fitzgerald
A Lisbon Concerned Citizen

1 comment:

Larry Fillmore said...

I do not believe the town has any idea how much money is being lost because the Personal Property system is so screwed-up. But you can be assured the Good Old Boys are not paying their fair share. The system is so messed up and the town is losing so much money because of incompetency it is not funny. This is yet another prime example.