Latest Hard Metal Pricng

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

BrasscheckTV: Special Report: Iraq, ISIS and a strangely prophetic song from 40 years ago‏


These are strange times. 
 
An army called ISIS arises out of
nowhere and appears to be on the
verge of conquering Iraq.
 
What's even stranger is that Bob Dylan
wrote lyrics 40 years ago that could
be the sound track to current events
in the Middle East. 
 
Video:
 
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/26804.html
 
- Brasscheck TV 

 Bob Dylan and ISIS (40 years ago)
Forward music to 4:30
Read the notes and lyrics below

Bob Dylan, Rolling Thunder Review, Tangled Up In Blue / Isis 1975 

Art predicts reality - again

Sometimes artists go so far out in the creation process they come back with stories from the future. 

Where did the name ISIS comes from?

I can tell you this: It doesn’t mean squat in Arabic.

You don’t think a bunch of CIA hacks sitting around a conference table came up with it, do you?

Some bizarre parallels between Dylan’s song ISIS written forty years ago and current events.

Lyrics

I married Isis on the fifth day of May
(Roughly the day ISIS began its attacks in Iraq)

But I could not hold on to her very long
(The US and “peace” in Iraq)

So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away
(What happens when you’re inducted into the military)

For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong
(Cowboy George Bush’s idiot pronouncement that the war
was easy and won: “Mission Accomplished!”)

I came to a high place of darkness and light

The dividing line ran through the center of town
(Sunni and Shiites)

I hitched up my pony to a post on the right

Went in to a laundry to wash my clothes down
(This part never happened. The real story is more
bizarre. Troops were ordered to turn their laundry
over to private contractors to do at a cost of $100
per load. True story. Look it up.)

A man in the corner approached me for a match
I knew right away he was not ordinary
He said, “Are you lookin’ for somethin’ easy to catch?”
I said, “I got no money.” He said, “That ain’t necessary”

We set out that night for the cold in the North
I gave him my blanket, he gave me his word

I said, “Where are we goin’?” He said we’d be back by the fourth
(Rumsfeld, Rice and fellow criminals assured the public the war would be
over and troops would be home in time for 4th of July parades and the answer
to “where are we goin’” and why was never answered.)

I said, “That’s the best news that I’ve ever heard”

I was thinkin’ about turquoise, I was thinkin’ about gold
I was thinkin’ about diamonds and the world’s biggest necklace
As we rode through the canyons, through the devilish cold
I was thinkin’ about Isis, how she thought I was so reckless
(It was a war for theft, nothing more and nothing less, and the
people of the world were totally against it staging
the biggest anti-war demonstrations before a war in recorded
history.)

How she told me that one day we would meet up again
And things would be different the next time we wed
If I only could hang on and just be her friend
I still can’t remember all the best things she said

We came to the pyramids all embedded in ice
He said, “There’s a body I’m tryin’ to find
If I carry it out it’ll bring a good price”
(The bogus ‘hunt’ for Bin Laden.)

’Twas then that I knew what he had on his mind

The wind it was howlin’ and the snow was outrageous
We chopped through the night and we chopped through the dawn
When he died I was hopin’ that it wasn’t contagious
But I made up my mind that I had to go on

I broke into the tomb, but the casket was empty
There was no jewels, no nothin’, I felt I’d been had
When I saw that my partner was just bein’ friendly
When I took up his offer I must-a been mad
(For anyone who thought any possible good could
come of the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq
maybe now they finally have a clue.)

I picked up his body and I dragged him inside
Threw him down in the hole and I put back the cover
I said a quick prayer and I felt satisfied
(Well even an artist like Dylan could not predict
the insane story Obama & Co. cooked up about
putting Bin Laden’s body in a bag, flying it over
1000 miles and dumping it at sea)

Then I rode back to find Isis just to tell her I love her

She was there in the meadow where the creek used to rise
Blinded by sleep and in need of a bed
I came in from the East with the sun in my eyes
I cursed her one time then I rode on ahead

She said, “Where ya been?” I said, “No place special”
She said, “You look different.” I said, “Well, not quite”
She said, “You been gone.” I said, “That’s only natural”
She said, “You gonna stay?” I said, “Yeah, I jes might”

Isis, oh, Isis, you mystical child
What drives me to you is what drives me insane
I still can remember the way that you smiled
On the fifth day of May in the drizzlin’ rain

Copyright © 1975 by Ram’s Horn Music; renewed 2003 by Ram’s Horn Music

 

- See more at: http://www.brasschecktv.com/videos/out-there-1/bob-dylan-and-isis-40-years-ago.html  



No comments: