Latest Hard Metal Pricng

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pilot To Bombardier, Bombs Away: The Chairman of Lisbon's Town Council is Illegally Benefiting From The Homestead Exemption Act; Theft by Deception Ring Any Bells?


"Pilot to Bombardier, Bombs Away"



MISAPPROPRIATED FUNDS

When I received my real estate tax bill, I began to wonder how the tax raise was affecting other citizens of Lisbon.  I started reviewing the Real Estate Tax Commitment Book – 2013 on line.  This is a listing of all the real estate tax information and is located on the town web site.  I was especially interested in the town council and a select few.

During my review, I stumbled on to LaRochelle Proprieties, LLC owning property at 140 Main Street and this LLC had a Homestead Exemption of $8,300 dollars.  I could not believe a business could have a homestead exemption so I contacted the town and asked how this was possible and was told it was legal.  However, because the town has provided me false information so many times, I decided to call the State of Maine, Property Tax Division and ask the same question.  I was told a LLC does NOT qualify for a Homestead Exemption.  I went to the town office and informated the Assessing Clerk of this information and she told me she had contacted the state to verify the information she had provided to me the day before.  The town Assessing Clerk is very professional and was provided the same information by the state.

I was wondering how long this property had been receiving this homestead exemption and the document was dated April 24, 1998.  This means this property has been receiving an $8,300 dollar tax break for approximately 13-14 years depending on what year it went into effect.  I cannot compute how much back taxes are due because of different mil rates and homestead exemptions over the years but this money is due the town.

I do not know how many more LLC’s have been receiving the same tax break.  I do know if the town had had this money our taxes would not have gone up as much.  I would have thought our Chief Administrative Officer or the Town Assessor would have been able to find this instead of me.  Can you tell me again; why are we paying the Town Manager $91,401 tax dollars to do what?

 




  Lisbon Town Council Chairman Fern Larochelle

Now this has come to light, what is the town going to do about it?  This money is owed to the town in back taxes and should be collected.  Are Chairman LaRochelle and this council going to pursue this collection as vigorously as they are on 231 Lisbon Street and others?  Remember Councilor Cote’s issue over his excise tax when the town made a mistake and then forced him to pay for the town’s mistake.  Also, the town took Reggie Tiboutot’s property on Village Street for back taxes and burned it to the ground.  I believe in equal justice for all!!!

I believe there is so much of our taxpayers’ dollars and town funds provided by the state and federal government being misappropriated it is not funny.  I am currently in the process of bringing this to the attention of the state since our council does not what to hear anything from me.  This packet should be completed and sent off early next week.

Larry Fillmore
Concerned Citizen









 Theft by Deception Law & Legal Definition:
Theft by deception generally means the use of deception to obtain control over the property or services of another. The following is an example of a state statute governing theft by deception:

Theft by deception.

A person commits theft if he obtains property of another by deception. A person deceives if he intentionally: 

(1) Creates or reinforces a false impression, including false impressions as to law, value, intention, or other state of mind; but deception as to a person's intention to perform a promise shall not be inferred from the fact alone that he did not subsequently perform the promise; or 

(2) Prevents another from acquiring information which would affect his judgment of a transaction; or 

(3) Fails to correct a false impression which the deceiver previously created or reinforced, or which the deceiver knows to be influencing another to whom he stands in a fiduciary or confidential relationship; or 

(4) Uses a credit card, charge plate, or any other instrument which purports to evidence an undertaking to pay for property or services delivered or rendered to or upon the order of a designated person or bearer (a) where such instrument has been stolen, forged, revoked, or canceled, or where for any other reason its use by the actor is unauthorized, or (b) where the actor does not have the intention and ability to meet all obligations to the issuer arising out of his use of the instrument. 

The word deceive does not include falsity as to matters having no pecuniary significance, or statements unlikely to deceive ordinary persons in the group addressed.


As hard as the citizens of Lisbon came after Councilor Cote, I would think they should want to 'tar and feather' Fern Larochelle for pilfering these monies for so long. 





And he should immediately step down from the Town Council, that is if he has a conscience and hang his head in shame for all to see.  People are having a  hard time paying for their own bills and this is the kind of representation you duly elected and are so proud of in Lisbon?

Signed, Todd Comber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Councilor Bowie will take Larochelle's place when he steps down